Welcome to the PPOSF
(Precious Plastic Open Source Fund)
How is the money distributed?
- 50%How-to > existing solutions waiting to be open sourced
- 30%Research > for the wild ideas that need some trust
- 10%Retroactive > for those who shared without anything in return
- 10%Admin > to cover the management costs of the fund
Watch the video to learn more:
Dedicated to pay for all the costs associated with running the fund.
How is the money distributed?
Got a great recycling machine, mould or technique you want to share with the world?
Have you made a How-To in the past?
Fund the fund
Make a donation and help us fund the most innovative and impactful recycling innovations out there!
Precious Plastic Open Source Fund (PPOSF) is a fund (€103.300 so far!) that will generate new open-source designs to be shared for free with the world to tackle the big plastic waste problem together. The fund aims to:
- Create an environment that attracts and incentivizes designers and engineers globally to contribute their recycling designs free and open-source
- Provide financial resources for Precious Plastic members to generate, refine and share open-source designs and solutions
- Foster a culture where community members share their work on a global scale, with due recognition and the opportunity to have their development costs covered by the fund
- Reward organisations that shared recycling knowledge free and open source in the past
How-to is for existing solutions.
Research is for not-yet-existing solutions.
Retroactive Award is for members that shared their knowledge in the past via the Precious Plastic Community Platform
Admin costs are the costs for Precious Plastic to coordinate the PPOSF
Individuals, organisations or companies from all around the world can submit their application via this form.
The fund always welcomes new applications!
We will ask you for:
- Information about you
- Information about your proposal including a sketch, an estimated budget, an estimated timeline
You must have a Community Platform account to apply to the fund (sign-up here if you don’t have one yet).
Make sure your application is complete in order for Precious Plastic to process it.
The selected projects (see selection criterias below) will be invited for a meeting to discuss and agree upon the project, budget and timeline and feasibility of the project within a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) which will be signed by the 2 parties.
Sharing knowledge under Creative Commons license
All of the projects supported by the PPOSF will be published in Open Source under the Creative Commons Attribution - Sharealike International 4.0. You can read a summary of that here, or check out the full license.
To make sure the content is understood by a wide majority, your documentation must be in english.
Every quarter, we will ask you for an update via loom (video of yourself). This content will be used to update our donors and your webpage 🙂.
You commit to publish your project as a How-to within the agreed timeline.
You commit to publish your research as a Research topic within the agreed timeline.
You also commit to posting at least 2 posts per month with documented updates on your progress.
Remember, others can engage (comment...) on your topic so make sure things are clear.
Precious Plastic’s team will review the applications and select them based on:
- New to OS
- Positive impact
- “Ease” to replicate
- Respect of the application guidelines
It will be made officially at the end of each quarter (end of January, April, July, December) -- see the detailed timeline here.
50% of the project budget will be sent upon selection, the final 50% upon completion of the project.
1) Donate on our website
- Single donation
- Monthly by supporting on Patreon
- Sponsor BIG Development
2) Donate to the PPOSF
The Community Platform (the backbone of Precious Plastic) is developed open source on Github (https://github.com/ONEARMY/community-platform) and counts on many contributors to thrive.
Few things you could do:
- If you find a bug or problem or have a great idea to improve it, you can create an issue
- If you know how to code you can pick an issue and work on it
- If you have some time available you can join the team
Every year the Bazar sends hundreds of thousands of €€€ to recyclers around the world.
Selling on the Bazar is a great way to help Precious Plastic as it creates a more distributed economy with more sellers around the world offering product, machines and parts to our clients around the world.
Sharing Precious Plastic with your peers is a great way to contribute.
In its 10 years of operations Precious Plastic has not spent 1 single € in advertising, as we believe in organic growth from people to people. Help us keep it that way!